Football will make you a better person.
But it takes work. Players should know that football is a big commitment. We practice 3-nights a week – outdoors, in all conditions (except lightening), with 1 game per weekend during the season. If you can make the commitment, you’ll be part of a great sport where you will learn about teamwork by playing on the ultimate team game. There is a position on the football field for everybody – no matter how big or small, fast or slow. If you are between the ages of 7 & 15 and live in South Edmonton you can play for Millwoods!
Practice starts at 6:30pm and goes until 8:30pm on Monday’s, Wednesday’s & Thursdays. We begin practice at the end of May and go until the end of the season in October. If we make the playoff and do well, we play as late as early November. You should do your best to make sure if you have any homework or chores that need to be done that you should do them before you come to practice, you’ll probably be to tired after.
During the regular season we play 1 game per week. This is generally on Saturday or Sunday, but occasionally on Friday night as well. Kickoff times are usually 11:00am, 2:00pm, 5:00pm or 7:00pm (Friday’s). You should plan to be at the field 1 – 1.5hrs before kickoff. For the Atoms, a bus will be provided and your parents can drop you off and pick you up at our home field before and after the game. Peewee’s and Bantams need to arrange their own transportation.
You will be given all of the equipment and training necessary to play football. That said, there are a few things that you’ll need, and a few that you may want to look at getting.
- Shoulder Pads
- Mouthguard (x2)
- Kidney & Tail Pads
- Game Pants & Socks
- Practice Jersey
- Bag (to carry it all)
- Water Bottle ( @ spring camp )
- T-Shirt (@ spring camp )
- Football Cleats
- Water for practice & games
- Bug Spray for Hot Practices
- Warm Layers for Cold & Wet Practices
- Integrated girdle (replaces Kidney & Hip pads)
- Enhanced Mouthguard
Code of Conduct
As Players, we also follow a code of conduct:
AS A PLAYER I WILL:
- Participate because I want to, not just because my parents or coaches want me to.
- Play by the rules and in the spirit of the game.
- Remember that winning isn’t everything-that having fun, improving skills, making friends and doing my best are as important.
- Do my best to be a true team player.
- Control my temper – fighting and “mouthing off” can spoil the activity for everybody.
- Acknowledge all good plays/performances-those of my team and of my opponents.
- Respect my opponents.
- Remember that coaches and officials are there to help me and I will show them respect.