In The Beginning
The Mill Woods Grizzlies were incorporated as a not-for-profit society in 1996. That year Peewee and Atom teams participated in a league with the Sherwood Park Minor Football Association. In 1997 Bantam and Pewee teams played in the Capital District Minor Football Association (CDMFA). The Atom team was revived in 1999.
Since 1998, the Grizzlies have had an active Board of Directors, with Annual General Meetings and election of officers. The Board organizes a variety of activities to foster the development of the football program, with primary focus on fund-raising and finances, social activities, and communication with parents.
In 2004 the organization’s name was changed to Mill Wood’s Minor Football Association to accommodate the introduction of a second Pee Wee team called the Maulers.
In 2006 we introduced another addition to our Association. A second Atom team called the Maulers.
In 2008 we grew yet again and had six teams which included the Midget Grizzlies.
Our Mission is:
To provide the best minor football program in Edmonton and improve the quality of community and sporting life for all it’s members.
Our football program is organized to:
- Learn and teach the game of football
- Develop team, social skills and self-esteem
- Promote fitness and activity
- Demonstrate sound leadership and teamwork
- Ensure responsible use of our resources
- Provide quality coaching
- Encourage good sportsmanship both on and off the field of play
- Have fun.
- Positive, motivated attitude from everyone
- Fun and Enjoyment
- Effort and Commitment
- Open communication at every level
- Smart and safe play at all times
- Integrity, respect and ethics in dealings with others
- Teamwork at all levels
- Personal growth and development
- Recognition of quality contributions
- Equality and diversity